Friday, December 16, 2011

"Chyle" and Serum Cholesterol

I AGREE TO USE MD STAT FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, THAT NO DOCTOR PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS FORMED BY MY PARTICIPATION IN THIS EXCHANGE, AND I UNDERSTAND THAT MY QUESTION AND ANSWER(S) WILL BE POSTED ON THE WEBSITE AND WILL BE VIEWABLE BY VISITORS TO THE SITE.: Yes, I agree.

Ask your medical question here. : Chyle...this is the condition I was told I have. Can you please tell me if there is anything I should be worried about and if so, is there a cure?

My cholesterol is 205
LDL 102
HDL 89

I'm in pretty good shape and my wife makes me eat all the things that are good for me...which I hate. She's pretty mean. I even have to do the dishes...but I digress.


Gender: Male

How old are you?: 46

What have you done so far to remedy this condition? Please include tests and relevant studies here.
: just found out about it. Not sure what I need to change

Please list any chronic medical problems and also list any prior surgery (lacerations don't count!): Are you serious? That could take a week!

Check all that apply to you or your immediate family (parents, siblings, grandparents):
None of these

Are you currently using or do you have a history of tobacco use?: Yes

Please describe your alcohol consumption :: Occasionally

So that we can serve you best, please try to tell us your top three things you wish to be addressed in our response. You will likely get more than you ask for, but we wish to understand your priorities.


Is this harmful as in...am I going to die?
Is it curable?
Should I be worried all that much?


__________________________________________________________

Thanks for your question!

These numbers by themselves look quite good. The HDL is great and the LDL is not too bad.... Total cholesterol is slightly high and that's why it is very important to know what your other medical problems are. For instance, if you have diabetes these numbers may need to come down a bit so that you can be properly protected from heart disease. If you are otherwise healthy these numbers are very reassuring. Please let us know in the comment section if you have any chronic medical problems.
MDSTAT_ER_DOC1

__________________________________________________________


I have not seen a response from you sir so let me expand a little bit on your question. To begin with, there are clinical entities that have to do with the accumulation of "Chyle", and these are fairly rare, and are also difficult to treat because they are often associated with Cancer. Just as an example see this LINK here on a chylous effusion in the pulmonary space.

So you can see my confusion.... You tell me you have a condidtion called 'Chyle' and then ask about your cholesterol levels. But IF your question really pertains to cholesterol levels then  my original answer is a solid one, but let me refer you to a good link where the cholesterol issue is explained in simple detail.

"Cholesterol"

Again, if you have further questions please ask them in the comment section below.

MD_STAT_ERDOC_!





No comments: