Friday, June 21, 2013

Multiple Sclerosis?

I AGREE TO USE MD STAT FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, THAT NO DOCTOR PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS FORMED BY MY PARTICIPATION IN THIS EXCHANGE, AND I UNDERSTAND THAT MY QUESTION AND ANSWER(S) WILL BE POSTED ON THE WEBSITE AND WILL BE VIEWABLE BY VISITORS TO THE SITE.: Yes, I agree.
About 4 months ago, I experienced severe pain in my left eye and severe vertigo.  The vertigo eventually went away, but the pain didn't.  I saw an eye doctor and a neuro eye doctor who said that my eye was healthy, no injury.  The neuro eye doc ordered a CAT scan and blood work, as my eye was bulging a bit.  Everything came back normal.  Went to my neurologist who ordered an MRI.  He said it was most likely optic neuritis, and there was a chance it could be MS.  MRI came back normal.  Neurologist then ordered an MRI of my cervical spine to rule out Devic's syndrome.  And also 3 days of consecutive IV steroids to reduce inflammation/pain. I have had no other symptoms of MS. Nor have I lost my vision or have experienced any visual problems.
 However, I've read that a person can have it even though the MRI is clean. I also have fibromyalgia if that is relevant. I just want to know if it's possible to have MS.  Not looking for a diagnosis, just your thoughts.  Also, there are two people (second cousins) who have MS in the family, and my neurologist mentioned that it's possible that MS does run in families.  Thank you.

 Gender: Female
 How tall are you (feet and inches)?: 5' 2"
 What is your weight in pounds?: 196
 How old are you?: 37
 How long has this been going on?: More than a month
 Check all symptoms you are currently experiencing:
 Eye
 Describe associated symptoms not listed above: Severe constant pain in left eye

 What have you done so far to remedy this condition? Please include tests and relevant studies here.
 : CAT scan - normal
 Blood work on thyroid - normal
 MRI - normal
 (1) IV infusion of steroids - pain went away for a day and a half, only to return
 Will have 3 days of IV steroids in 2 weeks
 MRI of cervical spine ordered but not done yet
 Taking painkillers, motrin, and neurotin
 Please list any chronic medical problems and also list any prior surgery : fibromyalgia
 intractable vertigo
 migraines
 TMJ surgery at 15
 Ankle surgery in 2011
 Tonsils out at 7
 Check all conditions present in your immediate family... :
 Cancer

 Please list any medication allergies that you have : : Emaycin, penicillin and derivatives, flagyl
 Please list any medications you are currently taking (and dosage if known) :: Elavil 75mg 1x/day
 Reglan 5mg 2x/day
 Omeprozole 20mg 2x/day
 Birth control
 Allegra 180 1x/day
 Allergy injections 1x/month
 Neurotin 1x/day
 Motrin 800mg 3x/day
 Zoloft 100mg 1x/day
 Xanaz .25mg as needed
 Maxalt 10mg as needed
 Vitamin D
 When was your last menstrual cycle?: 1 week ago
 Are you currently using or do you have a history of tobacco use?: No
 Are you currently using or do you have a history of illegal drug use?: No
 Please describe your alcohol consumption :: Never
_______________________________________________

Good gracious! I'm sorry you have so many problems (and so many medicines to take).

I do not think you have MS for two reasons. First of all, your MRI, the diagnostic test of choice, was normal. But perhaps even more importantly, you saw an Ophthalmologist who did a direct visualization of your optic nerve. You did NOT have optic neuritis if an eye doctor did not see bulging of the optic disc on exam. Period. I am not sure what this was or if you will ever know, but it is not MS.

Be Well

1 comment:

space doc said...

I agree with MDSTAT-ER-DOC-1 that you have done the necessary tests to rule out M.S.

There are variants in the way migraine presents--one of which is ophthalmoplegic migraine (not common) which can give pain especially in the eye.

If the pain persists there is also a specific antibody -marker test (NMO-IgG) to further check for Devic disease.

I'm sure the blood tests you had done included a check for diabetes which sometimes can affect facial and cranial nerves involving the eye.

There is a genetic inheritence component to M.S. so it will be good to recheck with your neurologist &/or your ophthalmologist if symptoms persist, but for the present it surely does not appear that M.S. is a problem.

Good Luck! Space Doc