Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Low Potassium after Gastric Bypass

I AGREE TO USE MD STAT FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, THAT NO DOCTOR PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS FORMED BY MY PARTICIPATION IN THIS EXCHANGE, AND I UNDERSTAND THAT MY QUESTION AND ANSWER(S) WILL BE POSTED ON THE WEBSITE AND WILL BE VIEWABLE BY VISITORS TO THE SITE.: Yes, I agree.
I would like to know how fast my potassium level can drop below a 3.0? I had blood work done 2 Weeks ago and my NP sent me to see my Dr that did my gastric bypass and he told me to go back to my NP and have her deal with it. I'm so frustrated with the round about... I don't feel well and do not have an appetite. Body hurts and some times my chest. But I also get shortness of breath or feel like I'm dizzy when I bend over and come back up. I'm not sure if I should wait to make another app with my NP or go to the ER. I have read up on this issue and am now afraid. Please help... Thank u. Btw this was just found because I asked for blood work to be done since I did not feel well and it's beena long time since I had my blood work done I had gastric bypass 1 year and 9 months ago. But have been feeling bad for 3 to 4 months so asked for the blood work.

Gender: Female
How tall are you (feet and inches)?: 5.4
What is your weight in pounds?: 180
How old are you?: 32
How long has this been going on?: A week or two
Check all symptoms you are currently experiencing:
Difficulty Breathing
Chest Pain
Diarrhea
Nausea
Musculoskeletal Pain
Respiratory
Weight Loss

What have you done so far to remedy this condition? Please include tests and relevant studies here.
 I am on a prenatal vit (not pg) I take iorn, vit d, b12, b1 and potassium

Please list any chronic medical problems and also list any prior surgery (lacerations don't count!): Had my gullbladder out had an instrumentation fusation of my L5 to S1 and gastric bypass also had a nerve cord stimulator implanted in my back. I have  spinolisosis,degenerative disc disease, bipolar 1, ptsd, anxiety, sleep issues ADD that's all I want to list

Check all conditions present in your immediate family... :
Asthma / Lung Problems
Cancer
Cardiac Disease
History of Back Pain
Psychiatric Disorders
Stroke

Please list any medication allergies that you have : : Penicillin, morphine
Please list any medications you are currently taking (and dosage if known) :: Saphris 10mg sublingual at night, xanax 2mg twice a day as needed, lunesta 3mg every night, vyvanse 40 mg once a day and aderall 15mg once a day and all the vitamins I listed above
When was your last menstrual cycle?: 4 weeks ago
Are you currently using or do you have a history of tobacco use?: Yes
Are you currently using or do you have a history of illegal drug use?: No
Please describe your alcohol consumption :: Never

HOW QUICKLY DO YOU NEED THIS TO BE ANSWERED?: As soon as possible
How fast potassium can drop. And should I wait to make yet another app with my Doc or go to ER

2 comments:

MDSTAT_ER_DOC_1 said...

This is frustrating indeed. Low potassium can be dangerous. It is also one of the labs that can often give false results, though the false results are usually in the high range. You may need to be on potassium supplementation as a consequence of your gastric bypass. Your kidneys also need to be studied. This may be beyond the capability of the NP depending on their experience. I would not wait for your apointment. When potassium gets into the mid to low Twos it can be dangerous to your heart. I would get this checked out, at the ER if need be, as soon as possible. And by the way, I think your surgeon needs to be more involved with your care as it is possible that this is a result of the surgeyr. Anxiety could certianly cause these symptoms, however, ruling out a postassium problem is of primary importance and is, in fact, time critical.

space doc said...

Dear Low Potassium,

As MDSTAT ER DOC 1 has already covered, a potassium in the mid-low twos could be serious and may casuse irregular heart rhythyms (and often muscular fatigue/ cramps). You didn't mention what dose of potassium you were taking, but it would be pretty unusual for the potassium level to drop significantly while you are on the potassium medication. Your family M.D. (or NP) could adjust the medication if the potassium levels have dropped below 3.0

I am not aware of any effects that Saphris , Lunexa, Viivanase, Adderall, or Xanax have on potassium levels.

Sounds like you have had a lot to deal with---I would definitely get the potassium checkd, but I would not worry sbout the levels decreasing precipitously, especially since you are on the potassium supplement.

Good luck with everything.
Sincerely,

Space Doc